Saturday 28 May 2011

Silly in Piccadilly

An artistic and an architectural experience today in my quest to see as much stuff as possible before I leave London... namely the White Cube Gallery in St James's. Certainly a building for the architectural purists and an interesting contrast to its surroundings!

Current show is of George Baselitz. I knew he was a paintily painter and was curious to see this display. Initially my reaction was disappointment and antipathy, he seems to be an artist in his late bullsh*t period, having discovered the gimmick of hanging his paintings upside down.

This is probably harsh. There is an intelligent review of the exhibition which goes some way to convince me I should forgive him.

Next stop was the V & A for the exhibition about the British 'Aesthetic Movement'. This is probably one of the best and most engrossing exhibitions I have ever visited anywhere, well worth the £12 entry. It is fascinating that a movement which professed to promote 'beauty' in place of the staid symbolism of the Academy was seen as such a dangerous threat by the status quo!

No comments:

Post a Comment