Wednesday 17 December 2014

In Post

Well, here I am helping to pay my winter fuel bills by sorting Christmas mail for the Post Office. Fringe benefits include getting covered with glitter and living on a diet of reasonably priced fried breakfasts served at ridiculous o'clock in the morning.

To my delight I've found I'm working next to several creative types, a Photography graduate and someone with a PhD in Art Theory (you know who you are if you're reading this - great to meet you). Maybe we've been specially recruited because we're nimble with our fingers, but more likely the truth is there are a great deal of art and design professionals who find it difficult to make a full time living from their work, so take what they can to pay the bills.

I perversely enjoy the reality check (as well as walking to work in the moonlight, scrambled egg on tap, more red envelopes that you can shake a stick at, finishing work at 2pm etc). It's a healthy reminder (aside from greasy breakfasts) that most people have unfortunately had creativity extracted from their lives and jobs, with little choice in when and how we do work, or get paid. It's part of modern life, something artist's need to relate to and not ignore from behind their individual bohemian solutions.

Mind you, I don't think I'm giving away any secrets when I say we could do a better job of the mural in the Royal Mail training room.

Nadolig Llawen/Merry Christmas from CF11!!

No comments:

Post a Comment